Tucked in a crust, nothing says love from the oven like pie. Whether it’s a twist on the all-American apple pie or a traditional recipe from your home country, give a healthy makeover to your favorite savory or sweet pie recipe.
So I wanted to push myself to be a little outside the box and creative here… last month’s Recipe Redux I made pie, not knowing it would be this month’s challenge. So I was encouraged to go a savory route since that pie was sweet. I had some greens I needed to use up, saw an onion on the counter, and then started thinking about the crust. I thought about using my quiche crust recipe but thought that was taking the easy way out- instead I found a tube of polenta and wondered how it would work as a crust. Turns out, pretty well! Plus who doesn’t love polenta!? This greens and cheesy pie actually turned out really well… I’ve been heating up the leftovers for lunch this past week. Try out this unique savory spin on pie!
1 tube polenta
5-6 oz spinach
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
1 TBSP olive oil
4 oz blue cheese
½ cup plain greek yogurt
½ cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Spread polenta onto pie dish with (clean) hands, slightly moisten fingers if it gets too sticky
2. Chop onions, garlic, and greens
3. Heat olive oil on stovetop and add the onions and cook until softened
4. Add garlic for 1-2 minutes and then add greens and cook until wilted
5. While everything is being sautéed, combine the eggs, cheese, yogurt, and milk
6. Once the veggies are cooked add to dairy mixture and then pour into pie crust
7. Bake for 50-55 minutes until filling is congealed and starting to brown
8. Serve warm or reheat leftovers
Check out the other delicious creations by my fellow Reduxers!
As the first and only recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians, The Recipe ReDux aims to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover. Thank you for visiting. We hope you enjoy!
(Please note that this is a closed link-up for Recipe ReDux posts only. Any links added to this collection for non-ReDux posts will be deleted.)