This is a great end of summer no cooking recipe that uses some of my favorite ingredients. It’s great as a brunch recipe for guests or even as a Labor Day side dish. After attending two catered showers this past weekend I think it would a fun challenge to make all of the food for another one of my friend’s celebrations. This salad would definitely make the list for any bridal or baby showers. It’s a little less conventional but a fun play on a classic brunch/breakfast dish.
I’m not the biggest fan of cream cheese but while I will eat a bagel with thinly spread cream cheese, I really think smoked salmon pairs better with goat cheese. You can use either for this recipe depending on your preferences. If you don’t have bagels that are starting to stale, toast them lightly to add the crunch. They act as a sort of crouton to carb up this salty salad. The greens give it a little more balance and packs in some extra veggies but you could leave them out. If you add the greens I would recommend romaine or something hearty that can stand up to all the added textures. It stores well overnight, but I would keep the greens separate if you aren’t eating immediately. Enjoy the last few days of summer and any remaining celebrations or time off!
6 oz greens
8-10 oz smoked salmon
2 stale or toasted bagels
½ red onion
1-2 TBSP capers
4-6 oz goat cheese (or cream cheese)
1 TBSP olive oil
- Place greens in large salad bowl
- Dice onion, cucumber, and tomato and combine in toss into the bowl
- Slice salmon into small bite size pieces and add to bowl
- Measure capers to taste and add to bowl
- Toast bagels if needed and rip into small pieces onto salad
- Crumble goat cheese over salad
- Measure out add the capers
- Add olive oil to lightly dress salad and combine thoroughly
- Serve cold
Do you like smoked salmon? Ever had it not on a bagel?