One of the huge trends and nutrition necessities in the fitness community are protein bars. I know there is a large variety for sale out there but personally I think a lot of them are pretty gross tasting. Also some have waaaay too many ingredients that aren’t real food. So one day I decided to create my own protein bars and I am obsessed with them. They can be made sugar free but I like to add a little brown sugar for additional sweetness. These are seriously the best homemade bars ever, at least in my opinion. I have made these with a variety of different nut butters and yogurts and they always turn out delicious. Sometimes I add nuts or dried fruit, sometimes I go for just a traditional pb and chocolate combo. Try out some different flavors yourself and let me know which you like best!
3 cups rolled oats
½ -1 cup coconut, shredded
¼ cup brown sugar (could omit)
½ cup Greek yogurt (I used chocolate)
½ cup nut butter of your choice/flavor preference
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup honey (agave, maple syrup)
¼ cup brown rice syrup
½ -1 cup semi sweet or dark chocolate chips (this is optional but it makes them so much more delicious)
(I just started using brown rice syrup in my bars and the results are awesome, the bars hold together much better… but you could use agave or more honey or maple syrup as well)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13×9 pan with coconut oil
2. Mix together dry ingredients.
3. Mix together wet ingredients
4. Combine all ingredients and then add chocolate chips. Make sure everything is evenly coated
5. If you wanted to add nuts or dates/figs/dried cranberries in place of/ in addition to chocolate chips works too
6. Spread in 13×9 pan and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool, I usually put them in the freezer, and cut into squares for easy to go snacks!
Do you like protein bars?? Do you make your own or buy them?? What kind do you like to buy/make??