By: Courtney Rayppy
Busy school and work schedules are generally the biggest contributors to HANGER. We need food to give us energy to function but it also helps prevent mood swings, grumpiness, stomach discomfort and more. Plus keeping our bodies satisfied helps us combat the urge to eat everything in sight to satisfy hunger, including less healthy choices. Don’t get me wrong I love (like, I would marry it if I could kinda love) pizza, doughnuts, froyo, chips, wine—where was I going again with this? Oh right. Sometimes, it can be difficult to prepare healthy snacks that are easily transportable, affordable and are also nutritionally sound. Worry not, for I have carefully devised a simple, easy and cost-effective way to CURE hanger for even the busiest of schedules. Bring on the healthy snacks for busy college students on the go!
My GO-TO Favorite Healthy Snacks:
• Air-Popped Pop Corn (Favorite brand is Skinny Pop: white cheddar flavor)
• A crisp Fuji apple cut up and drizzled with fresh lemon juice (keeps it from browning too fast and tastes great too!)
• Pretzel-thins with Laughing Cow cream cheese spread (may want to keep cold as long as possible )
• Baby carrots/cucumbers/bell peppers/etc and roasted red pepper or garlic hummus
• Cottage cheese with sliced cherry tomatoes or grapes
• Yogurt with granola and fresh strawberries
• Low Sodium Turkey Jerky and string cheese
• Home-made trail mix
• Homemade “Protein Muffins” (recipe shared below)
• Guacamole (with pepper and lime juice on a sliced piece of whole wheat toasted bread)
• Hard boiled eggs with sea salt and pepper
• Cuties/Halos/tangerines/clementine oranges
PRO TIP: DRINK WATER: Always hungry? Try drinking one to two cups of water every hour that you’re out and about to help keep you full, hydrated and healthy! If you don’t really like plain water, try sparkling water beverages like La Croix or infusing your water with fresh lemon and mint!
Being “too busy” should never be an excuse to not take care of your body. All it takes is a little preparation the night before. I have always hated wasting money on food on campus because I knew that if I had just prepared a snack I would have been able to save money and avoid buying a snack that doesn’t satisfy me. What are some of your favorite snacks??