Vegan cheese…. I can’t say I blame any skepticism but these were tested during a girls night with all carnivore eating friends 🙂 In fact, my friend that I would describe as somewhat of a jock (in an awesome way, I would probably use the same word to describe myself) was the biggest fan… although my RD friend that was in attendance loved it also! We ate it as a cheezy dip with crackers but you could use it as a cheese substitute however you want… on a bagel, nachos, etc. My hubs enjoyed it with some pasta (made a little creamier with more milk and olive oil and microwaved). This recipe is super easy and delicious and I promise you would never think of it as vegan!
Have you ever had vegan cheese before? Thoughts?
1 ½ cups raw cashews
2 roasted red bell peppers
¼ cup water
½ cup dairy free unflavored milk
2 cloves garlic
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP nutritional yeast
½ tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
1. Soak cashews overnight in water
2. Drain cashews the next day and put directly into blenders
3. Remove skin of roasted red peppers post roasting (or use jarred) and add to blender
4. Measure and add remaining ingredients and blend
5. Refrigerate and serve cold as dip or be creative and use as cheese substitute in other recipes!