March 2017 – Recipe Redux Theme:
Spring Clean the Kitchen
Cook with at least 3 ingredients that are actually in your refrigerator or pantry right now. Try not to go to the store to buy anything new. Give tips on how to make a healthy dish out of whatever you have on-hand.
This Redux is right up my alley!! I love throwing together last minute dinners with ingredients I have on hand… sort of like being on Chopped. (<—- Do you love this show as much as I do??) I am not the kind of dietitian that does any meal planning at all, I’m a fly by the seats of my pants kind of girl when it comes to dinnertime, and I’m always trying to use up ingredients from the fridge or pantry.
This recipe isn’t exactly a recipe, it’s more a formula. It starts with a base layer, then a sauce, then a protein, and finally some veggie toppings. It’s a simple carbs + protein +fat combination for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. You can use whatever you have on hand but I’ll share some suggestions including 3 other recipes using this formula- Salsa Pizza, Brussels and Beets Pizza, and Apple Cheddar & Bacon Pizza. It’s a foolproof formula that you can apply to use up any leftover ingredients in your fridge.
Base: Flatbread, Naan, Pita, Pizza Dough
Sauce: Tomato sauce, hummus, pesto, garlic and olive oil, salsa
Protein: Eggs, chicken, bacon, beans
Toppings: roasted veggies, fruit, raw fruit and vegetables
Extras: Cheese, avocado, herbs
(I used the formula for the recipe featured in the pictures: naan + pesto + egg +roasted green cauliflower)
Definitely use this formula and build your own healthy pizza! Don’t forget to check out the other Reduxers!
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)