Serious food experimenting this weekend… I decided to make roasted spaghetti squash with homemade turkey meatballs. Easy recipe. No joke. And it turned out pretty successful! I ended up making 3# of the turkey meatballs to freeze for later use for other meals. Serve with homemade red or white sauce. I made a simple white sauce to serve with my squash and balls and then made a red the following week.. per my promise I will post a homemade red sauce recipe soon. In the meantime these meatballs are great in any kind of sauce and when you eat them with something else you can’t even tell they are turkey not beef! I dare you to make them add them to something and not tell anyone they are turkey… I LOVE doing sneaky things like that (my tofu based pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving last year was probably the best joke I’ve ever played).
Anyways these are great for an appetizer or meal for SUPERBOWL parties this weekend! I love football, I love the Super Bowl, and I love Peyton Manning, GO BRONCOS! Hopefully I won’t be too embarassed by this post on Monday, hehe. What appetizers or dishes do you have planned for the big game this weekend?? Going to a big party or watching at home?? Enjoy the game, be safe, and of course eat delicious (moderately healthy) foods!!
1lb ground turkey
1 cup oats (I put mine in food processor for a more breadcrumb-like texture
1 yellow onion
1 TBSP thyme
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) I just want to note that you don’t have to process your oats, you can leave them whole.
3) Another note: feel free to change up the level of spice… I did a very basic non Italian meatball herb mixture; you could add basil or whatever you want. (I was out of basil unfortunately, but it would’ve worked perfectly) Salt and Pepper to taste.
4) Okay so you mix everything together, use your hands! It’s weird and squishy but it’s fun and gets the job done.
5) Roll into balls…. Try to make them all uniform and no bigger than 1.5 inches in diameter.
6) I greased a baking pan and cooking sheet with olive oil… you could use Pam or butter too
7) Put in oven for 10- 15 minutes, then flip over and cook for an additional 5.
8) When they are done, cut one of the bigger balls open and make sure there is no pink… this is turkey there cannot be any uncooked meat. Ick
9) Serve immediately or freeze for later use.