This is a great recipe for using up leftover veggies in the fridge. I used a previously cooked sweet potato and chopped it into really tiny pieces and also found some zucchini and spinach I needed to use up! You can use any veggies you want, just make sure they are cooked before adding them to cornmeal muffin mixture. I recommend sautéing any uncooked veggies on the stovetop in 1 TBSP olive oil to make this recipe a quicker one. Make sure all veggies are diced small so there is a veggie in every bite instead of large chunks. You could also add chicken sausage to make a more complete snack. I love these for food prep because you can make them on the weekend and add them to meals throughout the week.
2 cups cornmeal
2 TBSP gluten free flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
1 TBSP parsley
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups cooked diced veggies
2 TBSP melted butter
1 cup milk
1 TBSP honey
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin pan. Recipe will yield 12 regular sized muffins
2. Cook/chop/prepare veggies
3. Mix together dry ingredients: cornmeal to salt.
4. Mix together wet ingredients: butter to honey and make sure eggs are well beaten
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients, add cooked veggies, and cheese, mix until everything is just moistened- overmixing makes a bad muffin
6. Bake for 20 minutes- make sure insides are completely cooked
7. Enjoy as a snack or side dish
Do you like cornbread?? Any favorite family recipes? I think cornmeal is highly underutilized and is a great gluten free substitute. Any who doesn’t love muffins??